October 9, 2011

Bonjour Brussels!

How lovely it is to be able to understand a language again! Thank you French teachers of my childhood. Being able to communicate with people and reading signs/directions again is refreshingly awesome. Ya, most Germans can speak english but reading signs etc was not enjoyable in Berlin. Then again, once people in Belgium hear my accent, they switch to speaking english which is no fun for me.

Brussels: amazing little city but I'm glad I didnt spend anymore time then I did there. Day one was awesome...waffles for breakfast and chocolate for lunch and dessert. Let me expand:

Raining like mad in the morning but I adopted an umbrella from the hostel so it was all good. I checked out the Grand Place (main square) and the old building there (see panorama pic). I caught word of an authentic waffle house near by so decided to check that out. How to describe it...well its located smack in the middle of the most expensive shopping street in the city however the meals are inexpensive. This is clearly evident when I walked in as it was full of old ladies! I ordered a cafe a l'Italianne et une "waffle" avec bannane et chocolat chaud. Amazing. The waffle was warm and fluffy, banana perfectly ripe, and chocolate was dark and hot. Heaven.

More site seeing: had to see the European parlament (Brussels is the capital of Europe) and of course Manneken Pis. Manneken Pis is a famous fountain of a little boy peeing. The chocolate shops around that square all have chocolate status of him peeing chocolate! Did I mention I was staying right beside the Godiva chocolate factory? "Kylie and the Chocolate Factory"!!

I spent a few days in Bruges. It is a lovely little Midieval style city with canals and bridges and more chocolate! Not at all like the movie "In Bruges". A friend I met described Bruges as "almost boring". Very true. Not sure what I would have done in Bruges for more than the 2 days I spent there though I did enjoy my time, and the beer, immensely. This new friend I met in Bruges has come with me to the Netherlands. It wasn't originally on my list of countries to visit but I am so close, why not? Right now I am staying in a seaside town called Noordwijk. Its about 40min drive from Amsterdam and is known for surfing, wake boarding, kite surfing, and skate boarding. I plan on catching some waves tomorrow! Who would have thought I would be surfing in the Netherlands?!

Again, not sure what order the pictures will upload.

K






1 comment:

  1. It is great to find neat places that were on the way or a detour. xo Mom

    ReplyDelete