October 6, 2011

Berlin Continued...

Long day of walking all around Brussels today but I sure saw a lot! More on that later... first of all though, my inner nerd was in such delight as I satisfied its craving with another museum. This was of course the Pergamon Museum in Berlin which (as I am sure you are all aware) houses the reconstruction of the steps to the Pergamon Alter. The friezes on the alter depict the fight between the Greek Gods and the Giants. It was incredible to see it in person as it is an iconic example of relief carving of that period.

There was an amazing exhibition describing the excavation and trade agreement between the Germans and the Turks which pretty much stated that the Germans could take whatever they wanted as long as whatever piece/carving they found fit together with another piece. Weird but awesome for the Germans who more or less cleared the place out!

The Pergamon Museum doesn't just house the Alter, it also has a nearly complete recontruction of the Market Gate of Miletus INSIDE the museum! Blew my mind. It is incedibly ornate for being just a market gate where people did their daily shopping.

Imagine how awesome my day was when I walk through the maket gate to find the stunning Ishtar Gate and Processional Way of Babylon! Unexpected at this point in the museum tour as I thought it wasn't for a bit further along.
The pictures I took on my phone do none of these amazing structures justice at all but still so incredible. Not sure what order the pictures will upload but the Ishtar gate is the blue one and the Pergamon Alter is the one with all the stairs. I dont seem to have taken a picture of the Miletus gate with my phone but fear not, all is documented on my Nikon.

Only one thing could have made this day better...chocolate ice cream! Yeah! Also in the mix of pictures on this post are the funny walking food venders selling bratwurst cooked right on their get-ups in front of you and the Berlin Bubble Guy. He had huge wands which attracted hords of giggling children (the bubble guy, not the bratwurt guy)! Very entertaining.

K

Ps...I am no longer in Germany so you should be able to comment again.











 















Good-bye Berlin, Hello Brussels! 

No comments:

Post a Comment