September 29, 2011

Munich!

Highlight of my trip so far has got to be Oktoberfest. Why? 1 litre beers, dancing on the benches, men in lederhosen, roasted half chickens, fried apples, bratwurst...ok maybe not the bratwurst. My first night in Munich I was "taken under the wings" (as they put it) of a group of Aussies. Lets just say that keeping up with Aussies is a challenge but a hilariously good time.

Second day was even more ridiculous. Same Aussies but now with Irish and a few americans in the mix. It wasn't an earlier night by any means, just back to the hostel bar for free shots!

I did manage to see a bit of the city not just the festival grounds. I walked around of the old town and checked out the buildings there, like the glockenspiel!

Next morning I woke up with a killer sore throat and a fever. Payment for having too much fun and zero sleep for 3 days I figure. This made for one of the worst travel days so far.

Step one: I missed my bus to Frankfurt. So I decided to train to Nuremberg and spend the afternoon there. By the time I got there, my fever was really high but this was on my "must see" list because of all the history from WWII and being the headquarters for Nazi propaganda then where the war crimes trails were held after the war. Needless to say, I hardly managed to walk my butt to the castle to snap some (awesome) pictures let alone even go near the museum and trial courts. Bit of a major disappointment but I guess this means I will one day have to come back :)

Step two: miss two trains to Berlin. My inability to read train schedules and understand announcements in German lead to this one. Understandable I think. Anyhow, a train for Berlin eventually arrived and I did get on it.

Step three: fever + a/c on the train = freezing cold and chills. Speaks for itself.

Step four: its dark out now try and find hostel muahaha. Made it. Slept for 12 hours then took a 2 hour nap this afternoon. Bought some fisherman's friend and lemon green tea.

I am going to likely spend a week in Berlin to hopefully recover from this cold and have time to see all the sights. Again there are a couple of big time museums that are on my must see list here (Germans also liked to steal shiny things from poor countries) plus all the history of the city (Berlin wall anyone?).

I am excited for the next week and all the activites I get to do!

K











No comments:

Post a Comment