September 17, 2011

A day in London.

Despite still feeling really ill, I woke up early to start exploring London. I managed to sleep on and off for 12 hours so I hope that helped. Breakfast was the standard hostel breakfast of toast, pastery, cereal, coffee, tea, and juice while watching the BBC morning news. The hostel I am at is quite huge so everyone I saw at breakfast was no one I'd met the night before....not that I had time to sit and chat this morning!

Took the tube to the parlament buildings and emerged from the underground literally right beside Big Ben. It was only 9am so the morning sun (and lack of crowds) made for some great pictures. The one I am posting here was snapped at the end of the river walk so later in the morning. I took a few group shots for people with BB in the background.

My walk took me across Westminster Bridge with a great view down the Thames and of the London Eye. There were still very few tourists but lots of people out running along the pathway. I was jelous. I want to run in London!

My plan was to walk down to St Paul's as its pretty famous for avoiding mass distruction from the wars. However, there was so much construction of sidewalks and pathways, I couldn't figure out how to to get to it. I could see the dome and was maybe 2 blocks away but just couldn't get there. I have all day tomorrow to explore so will try again.

My walk continued along the opposite side of the Thames now past more churches, war monuments, and an obelisk from Egypt that was stolen and erected in London. More on stolen things later...

Back to BB where there were now more tourists. I shuffled passed them as by this point I wanted to try and make it to have tea with Liz at the palace aka see the changing of the guard. I was walking along the sidewalk and looked to my left and thought "my thats a lovely chruch" not knowing at the time that it was actually Westminster Abby. Way to go Kyile.

At the palace there were loads of people pressed up against the gates. How was Liz going to spot me in the crowd! This was my only chance to make a good impression on her so she can recommend me to Harry! "Auntie Kylie" to the coming twins...how fun.

Alas, no changing of the guard today. It is scheduled for every other day now that its not summer. I googled it instead and watched it on my phone outside the palace, just as good right?

My walk took me up along Piccadilly to Green Park where I ate a picnic lunch. More people running in the park :(

Back on the tube and off to the British Museum! Having worked at a museum for 2 years, I am a total nerd for them. And the British Museum...ultamate! What a massive building. It really makes an impression even from the outside. Speaking of stealing, it was amazing but quite heart breaking to see all the sculptures, artifacts, and mummies that were on display. Taken from the country they were made or traded in and collected in a museum in London. I get that they are preserved well etc etc but its a little odd to see display after display of Greek vases from one period in time let alone an entire exhibit hall of just Egyptian statues. No need to see Egypt anymore, all the statues from the buildings are in the museum. Same for all the metopes from the south side of the Parthanon which are all in London. Enough with that. It was amazing to see it all and after having taken Greek and Roman history in uni, pretty spectacular to see the pieces in person.

Pictures: One of the mummies is Cleopatra (the bigger one) and I cant remember who the other one is. There were so many mummies! When I die, dont wrap me in cloth and put me on display please.

Its raining in London this evening (surprise?). Ill likely check out the hostel pub tonight if Im not too tired. Tomorrow I have no clue what i'll end up doing. My bus to Edinburgh leaves at 11pm and I check out of here at 11am. I'll store my bag then do more exploring. Still so much of London I can see.

I still cant figure out how to rotate photos for the blog. Sorry, you'll have to turn your screen I guess.

K








2 comments:

  1. Nice that you got out to those places and no rain while walking. The "Eye" is huge.
    XO Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though they're stolen artifacts, it's pretty impressive to see! I love that Greek statue of the woman crouching. Too bad you didn't meet old Liz.

    ReplyDelete