September 22, 2011

Glasgow for the day!

I am having a lovely time in Scotland, it will be sad to leave on Monday! Today I took the train ~50mins west to Glasgow for the day. Picked up a map from the information center and went on my way to explore the city! It is very different than Edinburgh... well the parts I saw anyways. It is known to have quite the night life but I wasn't able to stick around and confirm this :(

It is also known as THE place to shop in Scotland. I saw every brand from Prada to Nike to H&M to Hollister. There is a Starbucks every couple of blocks just like North America. I prefer to pop into the small cafes for my cuppa. Starbucks doesn't make flat whites, which are my favorite as of NZ 2011.

The following are some pictures I snapped while in Glasgow for the day:


 Police in Scotland.



Yes, I was being that creepy person sitting on a park bench that takes pictures of people. More to come... muahahaha!



 I was thinking the other day that I haven't seen too many fat people in the UK yet. Terrible to say... but not really. When every second person in Canada is over weight, its something I noticed right away here. With all the walking people do in the UK, its almost impossible to be fat! This guy is either not from the UK or likes his beer. Seeing him isn't why I took this picture though. These two were making out on a park bench just seconds before (note the smirk on his face).


 Panorama from the bench I was sitting on. The old man on the left was getting mad at people for scaring the pigeons.


This is me in space. Didn't you know Edinburgh is actually in space? Well, it isn't actually. This is in the National Museum in Edinburgh when I went the other day with Vanessa. 


Walking tour of Edinburgh. I don't know what this was all about because I was too busy taking this awesome picture. Sorry, Mark-the-tour-guide-from-northern-England-which-is-why-he-sounds-Scottish.... (I listened the rest of the time).



Grassmarket where "they" sold things (including grass) in the olden days. Human bodies were also bought here by the hospital for research and anatomy classes for the medical school. A couple of guys (Burke and Hare) caught on and figured it was an easy way to make money (selling bodies, not becoming a doctor) so they started murdering people and selling the bodies to the doctors. Their method for killing is what the word "burking" is derived from. 


 Random street. Love the architecture!


Skyline from the roof top terrace of the National Museum.


Cafe I wish I could afford to dine at. Alas, not in my backpacking budget. Pub it is!


Edinburgh Castle looking out over the city. 


The closest thing to cake I have had while in Scotland. Its chocolate, so almost as good ;) 

K.


2 comments:

  1. I like the old buildings too. Creepy- the look on chub`s face. Glasgow is also known for more crime-gang problems. A long-ago-friend lives in Glasgow (nurse in Iqaluit in 1980)-she`s a Scot.
    Tried Haggis yet! XO Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I totally love taking pics of people. Kind of neat to capture the everyday folks. Love that panorama photo!

    ReplyDelete