January 11, 2012

Happy Birthday to me...

Warning...typing on my phone and likely not going to edit before posting.

So I decided to by myself a birthday prsnt. I am passing through Portugal for a few weeks and have heard it has the most consistant waves for all levels...why not go surfing for a week? I have always wanted to spend sone time learning proper technique from pros and now seemed like a better time then any.

I started on Monday and have 2 sessons per day with an ex surf pro from Argentina. He is hilarious with his strong accent, blonde dreds, and permanent dark tan. Its hard to tell how old he really is because his skin is like leather from the sun. Makes me want to apply my sunscreen extra thick so I dont end up like that one day. I am the only one taking lessons this week so get private lessons! Lucky me!

Wednesday was another great day of surfing in portugal! Today I got a private tour of a surfboard factory. I was shown the step by step process of making a board as well a the history and evolution of surfboards. It's pretty amazing how much craftsmanship (auto correct wanted to change that to "cosmonaut") goes into shaping and finishing a board. Since about the 60s, boards have been made with a dense but very light foam core with a thin strip of woods down the centre for added strength. Expensive boards are finished with epoxy and fiberglass while the non-pros are fine with a poly-fiberglass finish.

After lunch we got out into some new waves and checked out a famous surf spot in Baleal Bay. Spent about 2 hours catching waves then I was too pooped from battling the waves so we headed home for some dinner.

As I am typing this post, I am sitting outside drinking tea and watching the beautiful sun set over the Portugese Atlantic with a large cat named Beef on my lap. Tomorrow morning is really low tide so we won't be in the water until about one. The amazing thing about surfing in Portugal is there are always surfable waves. The off shore wind creates perfect waves then there are the huge swells that come across from North America. The best waves are during the winter which is great for the locals because this also means less tourists. For me it means cheaper rates for lessons and equipment!

I've often heard that "surfing is like snowboarding". I agree except if when snowboarding, you had to hike up the mountain first. Thats what paddling out through 5ft waves feels like. Also means I am going to have to practice swimming head up front crawl for 2 hours straight before I head out to the ocean next time.

Pictures! Not sure what order they'll upload in...
Below are photos of the beach Ive been surfing at. The waves have been between 3-5feet.
-The guys bobbing waiting for a good set.
-Beef on my lap.
-The surf camp at the beach.








1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous- what a lovely place! Surfing sounds fun;nice to be the only one.
    XO Mom

    ReplyDelete